Storyhouse Young Company is a free training programme for 17-25 year olds who are interested in performing and making theatre. We are interested in people with a range of creative skills from actors, dancers, musicians, poets, MC’s and those who have no previous performance experience.
It is a 6-month programme of practical workshops and masterclasses with professional artists leading to an intensive 3-week rehearsal and show period working with a leading professional Director.
Storyhouse Young Company is designed to give you the opportunity to develop your theatre and performance skills. You will be supported by a team of professional artists with a wealth of experience in the industry to make a show to be presented in our theatre spaces.
Could I join Young Company?
Yes! If you wish to develop your creative skills in theatre performance and work as ensemble.
It requires no existing experience, You may already have some interest in performance, be curious or this could be completely new to you! The audition process is relaxed informal group workshop – it is about us getting to know you and we are happy to chat you in advance, email us on firstname.lastname@example.org
When is it?
The group will meet from January – May on Wednesdays 6pm – 9pm.
Rehearsal Week 1. Week Commencing 15 May. Monday – Friday 5pm – 9pm
Rehearsal Week 2. Week Commencing 22 May. Monday – Friday 5pm – 9pm
Show Week, Week Commencing 29 May. Various times.
You must be available to attend the weekly sessions, rehearsal dates and show week.
What do Young Company do?
- Meet weekly and work with an artist practitioner to develop your skills
- Meet like-minded creative people
- Create a performance with a Director
- Be invited to masterclasses with industry professionals
- Opportunity to audition for Trainee Actor roles upon completion of the programme
- Collaborate with other Young Storyhouse members
- Join Young Catalysts
Here is what Young Company have done before:
- In 2022 the group worked with Beth Knight to create The Sh*t Between Us
- They worked with Samaritans to create a film to raise awareness around mental health. Watch it the film here: Samaritans Film and read more about this project here: Am I?
- They write, produced and performed a brand new production about teenage relationship abuse: #Isitme
How do I apply?
You can apply by completing the application form below. We ask these questions in order to get a sense of who you are and what you could bring to the group. Please be as clear as possible by expanding on your experiences and be specific about your role/your contribution and let us know any ways that we can support you. For the 2023 intake please apply by 29 October.
If you are shortlisted you will be invited to attend an audition on Wednesday 23 November between 6pm – 8pm. The audition will be a group workshop and you will not be required to prepare anything.
After the audition you will be notified by email if you have been invited to join the group. If you don’t make it this time, please do apply again in future or talk to us about other opportunities.
You must be available to attend the programme on Wednesday evenings and the rehearsal and performance weeks (see dates above).